Latest News
With all the shops and deliveries on hold. I have been cleaning and painting a lot of little bits and pieces. The headlight shell and cover are not 34L but 43F and of course don't fit. Instead of buying a new front cowl. I welded some new brackets to the coke can thin head light shell with overkill large 2.5 mm rods. That was fun in not trying to burn holes in the headlight rim. I still have not found any part on this bike that is broken or smashed in some way. That is a pretty impressive effort by the previous owners.
Hopefully there should be a big truck backing up to my garage this week with some or all the parts I had ordered early in December. I am not counting on the fork springs to arrive though. On the way, I have new gold rims and spokes, decal set, new rubbers for under the tank and rear shock boot, new rear duck tail, throttle/ switch block from Europe , a new conrod and seat cover from the UK, A whole list of tiny small things to rebuild the engine with from Boats.net.
Cleaned off all the rust and repainted the brake hub. And yes, the brake pad are chipped and broken
New looking foot pegs. Looks like the side stand has been broken and re welded at some stage.
Found a brand new one of these.
Also found a new one of these
Over kill on the headlight bracket
Spokes arrived today. I had a bit of a panic moment in a couple of ways. I first thought the front spokes where to small and secondly the plating looked rubbish. The spokes I ordered are the same as stock in a polished mild steel and for $100 delivered for both sets. Turned out the nipples were screwed right down the thread making the spoke look to short in length. Under closer inspection the plating has a dull protective coating and each spoke needs to be cleaned before placing in the hub. A pic of the old spoke and the new ones.
I had high expectations of getting a fair bit of work done this week end. Sadly, no parts arrived except the new spokes. Must be held up with the last of the Christmas rush. I have received a few emails of offering of support in help finding a whole lot of missing parts. All I can say is thank you, thank you very much. I need all the help I can muster as I muddle through this restoration.
I think my carburettor needs some work.
Here is a short movie of the con rod. Would be a lot easier to buy a new a crank. If I could find a crank assembly, that was in good condition. I would buy it. To save the hassle of pulling this one apart.
Today, I sifted through the bins of parts and try and figure what parts I am missing. Still hard to tell. I am missing the triangle engine mount brackets.
Moved on to roughly fitting some small parts like the side stand
Moved on to taking the seat cover off the seat and check how bad the foam would be before refitting the new seat cover that should arrive this week from Dave Lambeth. The person who have recovered the seat before had done a good job.
Back onto my favourite job of cleaning the air box. I can now see why the engine destroyed itself. The amount of dirt inside the inner cambers of the air box was impressive by how much dirt was in there and the intake tubes. Took close to 2 hours to clean the inside of the air box. It looked like that on the inside as well. Must have been used without an air filter for a long time.
A repair to the air box.
Still waiting of parts to arrive. Found out today, that my missing fork springs might have been sent by sea instead of air I can only work on the bits I have. I had the worrying job of placing the decals on tank. I could not figure out why the decals were not lining up at the start. The tank is curved and the decals are cut on a flat surface. I had to manually adjust the lines the best I could to get the decals to line up in a straight line.
Another afternoon in the garage. Fiddling around on little jobs. Fitted the mono cross decals to the swing arm.
Pop riveted the mudflap back on the air box.
I roughly fitted the air box and oil tank to see how it goes together
My NOS con rod arrived in the mail today. Yesterday, I went for a drive with the barrel and head to the machine shop. The barrel is going out to first oversize in 96 mm instead of 95 mm. This will Increase the engine capacity from 595cc to 602cc. The head is going to cleaned up and the shop will let me know if I need new valves or not. New Wiseco piston in standard compression is on the way.
The week end rolls around and time to get the hands dirty. I have been putting off working on the carburettor. My first thoughts were to buy another set as these covered in dirt and grease. The slide and all the mechanicals were frozen solid. The intakes were covered in crap as well.
A before pic to get an idea of what I was facing.
First step was to pull the carbs apart to see how bad they really are and then clean them. One part at a time. Set up a table and turn on the radio.
I don’t know how these carbs worked at all. Not one gasket in whole twin carb. All the slides and needles had a dried up fuel on them as you can see by the float.
After few of hours of cleaning. A set of carbs that might work. Also had find some 2.5 mm fuel line to rejoin the carbs back together.
Almost like a new one.
Next job on the to do list. Is to clean the the engine cases of years of dirt and grease and repaint them. Fingers crossed. I will start on putting the engine back together in the couple of weeks.
Like most jobs. It does take a lot longer to complete than you first think. I have a set of polished stainless steel cap screw set on its way to hight light the satin black case paint.

After a mornings ride on Ms Pearl it was back to the garage and fit some new bearings to the engine casings. I had taken quite a few photos as I was pulling the engine down. In the vain hope I could remember which bearing went where.
Starting to sort through the electrics and got caught out again in thinking the parts in the box actually belong to this bike. I ordered a new ignition switch with 4 wires as the ignition I had, has 4 wires. Doh.. The wiring loom has the standard 6 wires. How did the previous person make 4 into 6 work? Back on the internet to order a 6 wire Ignition switch.
I have never recovered a seat before and thought. What is worse thing that could happen. I would have to buy a new cover and take it to a professional to have it recovered. I came home from the hardware store with a hand held stapler to give it a go. The seat has been re foamed at some stage and is not quite the same shape as the standard seat in being more rounded in shape.

Looks straight forward enough. Stretch the cover over and staple it. The hand stapler is use less as you end up with more reject staples not going in all the way. One in and two rejects.
As much as I tried. I could not get it right. With wrinkles in cover the bottom of the neck. Back to the hard ware store and bought an air stapler. That is a lot better. I could pull the fabric taught and staple away. Still ended up with a couple wrinkles. The tighter I pulled the fabric. The more the horn of the seat keeps on pulling back away from the tank and make bigger wrinkles. The photos look worse than it is. Thinking back about how I would do it again. Instead of starting at either end, like I tried. I would start were the wrinkles are and move both directions toward the front and the back of the seat at the same time.
I think, I will call this bike two times. I seem to have to do every thing at least twice to get the job done right. If I cannot live with the wrinkles. I have the seat recovered


Slow going in the building front. The parts I ordered last year are still no where to be seen. It is looking like they won’t arrive until March.
I have been looking at how parts fit on this bike. I did not pull the bike apart and have never owned a XT600 before. It is a bit of a guessing game in which order parts go together.

Back to priming parts for the bike. Let the parts dry. Then paint the side covers and cowl with the same clear white as the tank and allow to dry again. Mask up the parts for the black sections

Add a bit of clear white to match the colour of the tank. I will allow the parts to harden up over a few days and mask up the parts. For the stain black sections and add the decals to the side covers.

Masked up the panels and painted the black using a stain black.

I had another try at taking off and recovering the seat with the new cover. Not perfect, but a lot better than before. This time I used a lot of contact adhesive spray on the inside of the cover to try and stop it from rippling at the neck.

I would say a big hello to fellow Tenere owners of Switzerland, Germany an Italy Many thanks for all your encouragement. My fork springs finally arrived a couple of days ago and was a quick job of installing the springs. I did not realise just how soft the old springs were. Now I will have to find a new rear shock to match the front.
A new ignition switch arrived today. Old vs New. I now have a key to start the bike.......
Also a carburettor repair kit arrived. Back to the table and finish off rebuilding the carburettor. Like the rest of this bike, I have never seen a carburettor in such poor condition. The carburettor could not have worked very well, if at all. There were no rubber gaskets any where. The seat of the needle and seat was glued in place. As was the pin that holds on the float.
All back together and working as far as I can tell.
Arrived home to parcels that arrived while I had been away. I now have a lot of parts to carry on with and start moving on the Tenere. Including the rims that had been missing for 62 days.
Yippee. I can start building some wheels and make a rolling chassis.

After 4 hours, I was back at the start. The spoke kit I bought a few months ago is wrong for the XT600. The head of the spokes are at the wrong angle and make impossible to get the hub in the right place. After a few hours of trying to get the hub to sit right. I found out all the spokes are of slightly different length........
I gave up on the wheels and moved onto the bike. Fitted the new fork boots. Fitted the instruments. Repainted and fitted the headlight bracket. Fitted the headlight, indicators and front cowl.




Front end is starting to look good and now it is time to clean up the rear of the bike.
I ordered some more new spokes and this set is a lot better than the other set at a cost of 3 times of the overseas spokes.
18 spokes done and 18 to go
All spokes in place and awaiting truing.
I don’t have a truing stand. I used the front axle in the vice.
Repeated the same for the rear wheel. 18 inside first and then the 18 outside. Used the vice as a truing stand.
A pair of new wheels.
I had Michelin Sirac’s tires fitted to the rims.
I wonder what the bike looks like with the wheels on? There is a big hole in the middle...
Thats better. The engine is back in the frame. Starting to look like a bike now.
I have not been the garage very much of late. Our short summer has arrived and have been out riding my other bikes. A big box arrived while I was away riding.
A new Wilbers rear mono shock was in the box.
And fitted in to the motorcycle
A rainy day. Means a good day to be fiddling around on the tenere. Fitted the Carbs to bike and fitted the throttle and cables. Only to notice I don't have a choke Maybe I can fit one that does not need a cable. Not really into too many cables.
New 2nd hand throttle
Fitted the new fender and 2nd hand mud guard.

And back together
