mancunian
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600z
Previously Owned Bikes: KE100

3AJ carburettor issue

Post by mancunian » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:37 pm

Hello all

I have a recently acquired 1988 tenere 3AJ in very good condition however I am having carb issues, despite fully servicing and trying a few different float valves and seats the carb will not stop leaking petrol through the overflow when left for more than five minutes with the fuel taps on. I have taken this to a very reputable mechanic who is also puzzled by this, his only suggestion is that maybe there is a small crack in the carb body. So can anyone please tell me which other if any xt600 carbs will fit my bike as the best solution seems to be replacement.

Any help is very much appreciated, many thanks Phil.

Patrick
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 1988 Yamaha 3aj Tenere.
2009 KTM 570 EXC

Re: 3AJ carburettor issue

Post by Patrick » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 pm

Hva you opened it right up? There might be some sludge holding the floats open, or something bent out of shape that's sticking?
If it doesn't involve scotch, bikes or progressive metal then you're doing something wrong.
'09 570 EXC.
'88 600 Tenere project.
R.A.G Endurance Racing.

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:15 pm

I would first make sure your floats float, then with the bowl off i would see if the floats are closing the needle valve by simply lifting the float to shut off the flow, if its leaking order a new needle float valve kit.

It could be some knob has "adjusted" the floats wrongly, or they need bending slightly more to do the job, i have not heard of a crack in the carb before?

Good luck, Mezo.

mancunian
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post by mancunian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am

Thank you for your replies gents, I have already done these things countless times and replaced the needle float valve twice, as has the mechanic I took the carb to, he then set the float height with the bowl removed and a jerry can feeding the carb, but again onceback together fuel drips from the bowl overflow!

I have spent three weeks on this issue to no avail, it’s time for a new carb, will any other model years fit ?

Many thanks

Phil

jibber
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 2 1vj's, 2 3aj's none complete and a mountain of parts
Previously Owned Bikes: Quite a few

Post by jibber » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:46 pm

1VJ will fit, 3TB and 4PT also but the choke is directly mounted on the carb body

mancunian
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post by mancunian » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 am

Thank you sir, I have since spoken to David Lambeth who was extremely helpfull and he is confident he can fix the issue, so im going to post my carbs to him, thank you everyone for your input.

jibber
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 2 1vj's, 2 3aj's none complete and a mountain of parts
Previously Owned Bikes: Quite a few

Post by jibber » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 am

:goodjob: