FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Xt600 carb runs oddly

<<

scottieh

Financial
Financial

Post Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Xt600 carb runs oddly

My girlfriend's xt600 has had some odd carb issues ever since i first bought it. Nothing debilitating but now that we're about to embark on a long trip next month it's time to fix it.

To start with the carb will sometimes idle around 2000 rpm and other times around 1600 rpm. When reved up the idle sits high and then sometimes it drops down. Other times it doesn't.

Second problem is that the bike dies at idle occasionally, especially after altitude changes. We've taken to adjusting the fuel screw to compensate for the altitude changes (3000+ feet changes sometimes) but my bike doesn't do this. I don't need to adjust the carb at all even up to 14,000 feet.

Third is that the throttle sticks when trying to accelerate. I've cleaned the throttle body, oiled the cables and cleaned the springs and carb body and the throttle turns easily when the engine isn't running, but acceleration can cause it to stick.

Finally, at highway speeds around 60mph, when trying accelerate the bike stumbles and feels like it has a fuel starvation problem. The secondary jet is 130 i think.

We have cleaned the carb many times, adjusted the float, and synced the carbs. Looking for tips on any of these issues. We will try swapping my carb to her bike and see if that changes anything. :oilleak:
<<

scottieh

Financial
Financial

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: Xt600 carb runs oddly

Did the carb swap and the issue was definitely inside the carb. I had a spare carb from a parts bike that i cleaned up and used the best parts of both but mainly the body of the spare. It runs so much better now. Was even pleasantly surprised to find a 140 main jet and now the bike really flies. The body swap solved the sticky throttle, dying at idle, and the high speed hiccups. I still have a hanging idle but it's not as bad. What causes hanging idle if it's not in the carb and the throttle cables are properly retracting?
<<

xtrider

Financial
Financial

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:28 pm

It's usually due to either an air leak between carb and motor or lean jetting at 1/8-1/4 throttle . Can also be because of too rich at idle so the idle screw is set too high so it run with the extra fuel , shows itself by being high only when the motor is hot.

'08 Husqvarna TE510 .. //..'05 Suzuki DRZ470 stroker bbore..//..'95 & '96 Kawasaki KLX650 ..//..'88 XT600 ..//.. '86XT600(body)3TB hi comp motor ..//.. '06 Suzuki LTR450 ..//
'09 525XC KTM .. //.. '85 XT600/660 (660 Raptor bottom)
<<

alberaotey

Random avatar

No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 am

xtrider wrote:It's usually due to either an air leak between carb and motor or lean jetting at 1/8-1/4 throttle . Can also be because of too rich at idle so the idle screw is set too high so it run with the extra fuel , shows itself by being high only when the motor is hot.

yeah may be :goodjob:

Return to Intake Section