1985 XT 600
Previously Owned Bikes: 1989 Yamaha Virago 750
1994 DR650
1980 Suzuki GR650
1997 KLR 250
1986 Honda Spree

Getting around on my 1985 XT600

Post by scottieh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 am

About three months ago I decided to pack it all in and hit the road for a year and try to make it down to Argentina before I kill myself through one means or another. So I fixed up my 43F into about as good of condition as I could by overboring one size, new piston, rings, gaskets, valves, chain, sprockets, rubber, aftermarket rear spring, and a lot of spare parts, and started collecting riding gear and luggage. By the time I was ready to go I looked a lot like this goober

I left with two friends who were driving their 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon and headed towards west Texas.

We stopped here and there for beer and border checks and eventually it started to really rain

We made it through a few nights and eventually parted ways near New Mexico where they went north to Colorado and I veered west towards Arizona.

I was going to visit my friend Steve who said he wanted to join in on the fun for a bit and ride to Alaska with me. OK! We started planning routes on paper maps and it began to look real fun.

Steve is a Vietnam vet and he chose to ride his brand new 2015 Indian Scout. It's fast.

We began by blasting through the hot fucking desert of Arizona and worked our way up into Utah where we bounced between the two states hitting all the best roads.

Image Fuck that's hot

We finally got into cooler weather in the mountains of Colorado and the roads got more interesting. No guardrails on the million dollar highway

Then we started seeing snow for the first time up in Leadville

Some of the hotels in Colorado are pieces of history. Real boom town hotels with original decorations and furniture.

As we got into Wyoming I noticed my rear spring was making a funny noise. It turns out the damping rod had snapped and was just flopping around inside the spring. Yeesh.

So I pulled it out and found a replacement in Salt Lake City about 200 miles away.

I hopped on Steve's bike and took a little ride down to Provo to buy a new (used) complete shock. I got it back in the bike and by the morning we were back on the road up to Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Yellowstone was a cluster fuck of people and RV's so we skipped out quickly and made tracks to Montana in time to catch the 4th of July in small town America.

Crossing the Canadian border was a treat. I hadn't been across in over 20 years so seeing an international border without big fences or machine gun wielding idiots made me feel warm inside.

By now Steve's back was starting to really hurt. He's been in five major crashes, lost a kidney in one and died for about 5 minutes before the paramedics revived him. This is his tattoo to commemorate that day

As hard of a decision it was for both of us, Steve decided to turn around at Lake Louise in Alberta and head home. One can't live in constant pain for very long. We vowed to ride again soon.

Heading out of Jasper and Banff treated me to absolutely beautiful blue lakes and rivers. Like nothing I had ever seen before

I also started to notice I was in totem pole territory.

As I wound my way up through middle B.C. I made a cheat stop in Hyder, Alaska. It's the furthest south you can enter Alaska but it doesn't go anywhere so you have to turn around and go back to Canada. Still good for pictures though

My first major stop in about 2 months was in Whitehorse, Yukon. In a town of 25,000 they had everything you ever needed. Funny how well stocked the capital of the Yukon was

The Wal-Mart parking lot was an adventure too. Lots of people from all over camping for free in the parking lot.

I met a Mexican, a German, and a Canadian at a campground and they proposed the idea of canoeing down the Yukon River for 8 days. Sure, why not?

Found some cool stuff along the way too like this busted paddle wheel boat just rotting away

Back on dry land I made my way up to Dawson City in the Yukon and partied. It used to be the capital of the Yukon during the gold rush years up until the 1950's and now it's just a shadow of its former self with 1,500 people who want to have fun.

Here are some scenes from the annual Outhouse Race and bathroom wall limmerick contest they host every year

Image - These guys went off route a few times to take shots at the bars in town

Took a little side trip to Tombstone Territorial Park up the Dempster highway.

No pictures of the infamous Dempster. Had to keep my hands firmly on the bars lest the loose gravel or passing trucks throw me off, but here are some of the same girl from the canoe trip in Tombstone.

Leaving Dawson City I pointed my compass north to Alaska and bounced around some rough dirt roads on the Top of the World Highway am now in Fairbanks.

From here I'll be heading up to the Arctic Circle to spend a freezing cold night sleeping on permafrost and then heading south again back down to Alberta to visit my parents in Banff and Jasper. Then onward to Seattle and the west coast. Mexico here I come! Stay tuned for more updates in another month or so, or follow me on Instagram or Facebook

Instagram - @red_whiskers
Facebook - Scott Hathaway (you'll know it's me by the cover photo. Hard to miss a classic Tenere staring you in the face)

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Re: Getting around on my 1985 XT600

Post by Mezo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:00 am

This has to be one of the best posts on this forum, because? i don’t fucking know but its brilliant. :biggrin:

Great pic, for no reason at all just because its brilliant.

Before i cark it i hope to catch up with you one day young fella. :lol:

Mezo.

steveloomis
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 81 RD350LC w/84 RZ engine
85 RZ350
84 XT600
86 XT600
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda 50's, 90's, Yamaha Twin 100, 68 DT1, '73 DT-3, 73 RD350, '77 DT250

Post by steveloomis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah I like it too. a little off the wall, so am I..... :congrats:

scottieh
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 1988 XT600Z 3AJ
1985 XT 600
Previously Owned Bikes: 1989 Yamaha Virago 750
1994 DR650
1980 Suzuki GR650
1997 KLR 250
1986 Honda Spree

Post by scottieh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Spent a little time putting together a quick video of my trip so far. Bo diddley all across america

phpBB [video]

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 6 x 3AJ Teneres
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
XTZ750 Super Tenere.... Ratty one
Triumph Tiger 955I
Triumph Thunderbird sport
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle
Previously Owned Bikes: Triumph Tiger Cub, Garelli Tiger Cross, Triumph Trophy 650, Honda CB250 G5, Honda CB750 K7, Yamaha DT175MX, Honda CB250 Super Dream, Yamaha RD350LC YPVS, Honda XR250, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha RD500 V4, Yamaha XT600 Tenere (3AJ), Kawasaki ZX10, BMW R100GS PD, Honda XR600, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati 900 Superlight FE, Ducati 750 SS, Honda Fireblade... all I can remember for now...

Post by GeoffD » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I love your ride reports Scottie.... you're a fucking genius mate...

Trouble is, now I want to chuck my tent on my bike & fuck off for 6 months.... but I can't.

:kboom:

the joys of youth eh
The future is not what it used to be....

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Love the ending credits thanking the parents. :lol:

Mezo.

xtjoe
Financial
Financial

Post by xtjoe » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Nice one --Cool Cat Steve just looks like the man to tell a story or two-cool looking Indian

Enjoy !