FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fred´s TT 600 36A/59X bastard

<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

Fred´s TT 600 36A/59X bastard

So here we go! (I have to start anyway or it never will happen)
Why a old thumber without a magic button?
In 2004 I owned a XR 600 R.
I took it to the MX track, to the woods around my home village and even on holiday to the Pyrenen. I loved the handling, I loved the punch from low revs. I wanted to sell it because of that kickstarter. There were several Situations when I got crazy because it wouldn´t start like it should. (nearly burnt that f------g thing down, but luckily had no matches). But nobody seems to be interested … so month after month I had to kick it and as a guy wanted to buy it I was very god in kicking it to life. I had developed this special feeling for the engine. I knew exactly what it wanted. (choke full/half, throttle open or not, kind of kick…) But there was this guy… he wanted to give me all his money and in the back of my mind there was always this:”buy a DRZ” Which I did and never looked back. The DRZ is THE Endurobike. I still got it and will never sell it.
After a while, I think it was 2007, BMW showed the Xchallenge to the world. I was struck by the first look. That might be the “better “ DRZ. 2009 I was able to buy one.
So there you are, you got two “near perfekt bikes” in the shed and all you can do is screw gadgets(argl) onto them. Buy, open parcel, screw on… soon it gets very boring. No real craftsmenship, no welding, recoiling, getting things done on the lathe… well you know, no old stinking oil, no seals to be changed, no getting your hands dirty.

The DRZ and the XChallenge have no spirit, no history to tell. (to tell me at least) I think that is the point.

In the late 70ties, early 80ties my father took me to THE Enduro event in Northgermany. Just a village away in Kaltenkirchen (“coldchurch” if you want ;-) It was held on a military trainingground. There I was about ten years old standing in the rain and all the 500 to 600 ccm Thumbers were flying by in a 2 meters distance. I think it was then when that seed was placed in my head. That sound! That awesome sound of pounding singles! I remember those days were always very lucky days for me. I had the pockets full of empty training ammunition  7,62 mm and sometimes even 2cm FLAK (well, I was ten then) My father let me eat Pommes frits all day…

Back in 2010: I´m standing at the window looking out. A guy sitting high on an old thumper drives through our street, then he opens the throttle full and there it is. This “popp popp popp”!!! rolls through the Housecanyon. And that´s it. I have to have an old thumber again! I knew it instantly.
Reading Mezo´s rebuild gave the rest to me and I knew where I had to search for
The XChallenge was sold very quick. It was the bike with more “no spirit”. I think fuel injection makes it a dead thing. Now I had good money for the project.
For all who don´t know what I´m talking about:
This is NOT mine but you get the idea.

I´m in the process of restaurating a TT 600 :confetti:
Fred
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
Yamaha TT 600 36A59X3SW - Mix
Restauration have a click here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82
<<

Mezo

Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Re: Fred´s TT 600 36A/59X bastard

'nearly burnt that f------g thing down, but luckily had no matches" :snork:

Mezo. :thumb:
<<

Danjet600

Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm

:popcorn:
I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
Murray Walker
<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Sad things first:
I have no before pictures. :banghead:
All gone...
I got the bike in late Septenber 2010.
Rode it for a week and realized that it burnt more oil than my Suzuki GT 380. I´m glad I didn´t got lynched by the poeple behind me. :bigeek:
While tearing it apart I found out, that nearly every part was fucked up. (Hello Justdan :wave: )
So over the winter the big hunt for parts took some time/money and investigation.
Checking my Ebay-account daily got a reflex like taking a breathe.
But I think it was worth it:
Beside the exchange parts for demolished parts for the TT , I got some strange extra Parts:
complet frontend off a Supertenere
Tenere 34L Tanks
34L seats
What shall I do with these items? :scratch:

Again... NOT my bike! Just inspiration.
To be continued...
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
<<

Mezo

Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Fred333 wrote:complet frontend off a Supertenere
Tenere 34L Tanks
34L seats
What shall I do with these items? :scratch:

Ebay them, put them on our flea market? id just keep hold of them if you don't need the money as they are all very nice spare parts to have.

Mezo.
<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Naaahh! I´m gonna bend some metal so I can screw this 34L tank onto that superslim competition hardenduro and turn it into a tanker:
:biggrin:

Now that´s the plan:
Till July this year the bike has to be as original as can be. It has to pass the german TÜV. They look after the lights and brakes...
After this is achieved :hot: I will go on to get the specialparts on the bike. (34L Tank, Supertenere fork)
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Last week I got my frame back from the powdercoater. It looks so good!!! Like new!!!
And yes Geoff, you are right, you can´t screw shit onto a well made frame. Now it get expensive.
But it can´t get worse. (I thought :bigeek: )
Now, Ladies and Gentlemen! Pics from MY Bike!

:eat:
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 pm

There has been done a lot of welding to the frame.
You can´t see it instantly. so I think I did a good job. My last welding is 10 years ago...
There was a crack in the frame near the sidestand and the whole sidestandmountingthingy had to be replaced.
I often saw people kicking bikes while standing on the sidestand. No good. Stresses the metal to much.

In back the frame has to be reinforced. I just welded some 2 cm X 8 cm steel under the frametubes. You can see it later. It´s where the can from the shockabsorber is attached. TT 600 frames break easily there.

There is a bracket welded on to hold the later srewed on back of the 34L Tank. The frontbrackets will be screwed on. There are allready holes made by Yamaha!

The steeringlimiter (stem?) was gone, put a new one on. Same with the rear mudguard brackets and the exhaustbracket.
It´s late now...go to bed...
:snore:
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
<<

Mezo

Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 am

Must admit im guilty of kicking the bike whilst on the stand, i guess that`s why so many stands are bent & do not work correctly. :rtfi:

Mezo.
<<

Fred333

A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly

Post Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 am

enough snooring... you need pictures.
Three hours after I got my Frame into my fingers again it looked like this:

(Here you can see the reinforcement of the frame in the back, just behind the little tin.)

While getting so quick so far I caused/found some problems:

That f....g nut IN the frame broke loose!!! :banghead:
The lower one on the Footpeg. A well known problem to XTs.
I did this all by my self. :headslap: I had some nice newish bolts for the footpegs from a younger XT. (Got a big bag with XT screws and bolts from a bikepartsdealer) So I screwed them in a bit and was happy... as I wanted to put the engine in the frame I discovered that there has to be a little "adjustment" to the rear enginemount. Laying the frame on the side taking a hammer and fixed that little problem and in the same process killing the nut in the frame.
So here is my advice: Just srcew these bolts in if you are about to tighten the footpegs!
What I´m going to do now?
Weld a bolt onto the frame? Don´t want to damage to the coating :-(
Or can I put in a very long bolt through the whole frame?
Ideas , expierience ????
Fred
Yamaha XT 600 Z 34L
Next

Return to Restorations & Rebuilds