3AJ rebuild ... at last

welshlamb
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: Laverda 1000,Yamaha FJ1200
Previously Owned Bikes: Ktm 990 (X2), Bimota DB2, Laverda Corsa, TDM850, FZ750, XS750, GS750, CB550, CB250

Re: 3AJ rebuild ... at last

Post by welshlamb » Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 am

Can someone confirm minimum thickness on front disc 3.5mm (and new is 4.0mm?) (service manual says so but seen several for sale worse than that and wondered why if 3.5mm is min? If 3.5 is correct I'll probably go EBC route as my current disc seems right on that.

Bought a cheap used 3AJ rear rack. can see the difference in 'attitude' when placed next to the 1VJ variant. All to do with the frame bend/angles ahead of the main rack/frame. Taken a bit of cleaning up but should be OK once I get it powder coated.

Of course the helmet lock doesn't have a key with it. Would be nice to have it working! Any steer on the key blank. I cant see any numbers on the lock to identify?

Started to rebuild the brakes.
1) Rebuild kits (both) included M7 bleed nipples but hole in front caliper appears to be for M6. Parts list gives same p/n for both front and rear? Have ordered an M6 nipple but just wondered if this is error in parts list? :scratch:

2) YouTube rebuild videos show a wire circlip used in both back and front calipers to retain the 'bellows' dust seal. Is this correct?
- There was no circlip in rear caliper when I stripped the brakes
- I can't see the circlip listed separately in the Yamaha parts list (assume it comes as part of the 'seal kit'?)

3) Not bothering with the OEM 'shims' backing plates will just put some copperslip on area facing piston

Sorry for all the questions. Don't buy a bike in bits' may not always be right advice but if you've never worked on that model before ????...... "caveat emptor" as they say.

I'm sure I'll feel a lot happier when some fasteners are back from the platers and I've got a rolling chassis with brakes fitted and working.
Once I fit the rebuilt engine it should be all downhill from there :pleasesir: (oh apart from carbs, electrics, bodywork/paint/graphics!) ... one step at a time eh!

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 am

rday on
welshlamb wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 am
Can someone confirm minimum thickness on front disc 3.5mm (and new is 4.0mm?) (service manual says so but seen several for sale worse than that and wondered why if 3.5mm is min? If 3.5 is correct I'll probably go EBC route as my current disc seems right on that
Manual says 3.5mm wear limit so you`re on that, i thought they was 5mm when new?? :scratch:

This was posted yesterday on the forums FB page :yikes:

Mezo.

welshlamb
Financial
Financial
Previously Owned Bikes: Ktm 990 (X2), Bimota DB2, Laverda Corsa, TDM850, FZ750, XS750, GS750, CB550, CB250

Post by welshlamb » Sun May 27, 2018 11:21 am

wheel balance weight has fallen off?? :hss:

jibber
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 2 1vj's, 2 3aj's none complete and a mountain of parts
Previously Owned Bikes: Quite a few

Post by jibber » Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 pm

No split pin? :omg:

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 6 x 3AJ Teneres
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
XTZ750 Super Tenere.... Ratty one
Triumph Tiger 955I
Triumph Thunderbird sport
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle
Previously Owned Bikes: Triumph Tiger Cub, Garelli Tiger Cross, Triumph Trophy 650, Honda CB250 G5, Honda CB750 K7, Yamaha DT175MX, Honda CB250 Super Dream, Yamaha RD350LC YPVS, Honda XR250, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha RD500 V4, Yamaha XT600 Tenere (3AJ), Kawasaki ZX10, BMW R100GS PD, Honda XR600, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati 900 Superlight FE, Ducati 750 SS, Honda Fireblade... all I can remember for now...

Post by GeoffD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:45 pm

welshlamb wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 am
Can someone confirm minimum thickness on front disc 3.5mm (and new is 4.0mm?) (service manual says so but seen several for sale worse than that and wondered why if 3.5mm is min? If 3.5 is correct I'll probably go EBC route as my current disc seems right on that.

Bought a cheap used 3AJ rear rack. can see the difference in 'attitude' when placed next to the 1VJ variant. All to do with the frame bend/angles ahead of the main rack/frame. Taken a bit of cleaning up but should be OK once I get it powder coated.

Of course the helmet lock doesn't have a key with it. Would be nice to have it working! Any steer on the key blank. I cant see any numbers on the lock to identify?

Started to rebuild the brakes.
1) Rebuild kits (both) included M7 bleed nipples but hole in front caliper appears to be for M6. Parts list gives same p/n for both front and rear? Have ordered an M6 nipple but just wondered if this is error in parts list? :scratch:

2) YouTube rebuild videos show a wire circlip used in both back and front calipers to retain the 'bellows' dust seal. Is this correct?
- There was no circlip in rear caliper when I stripped the brakes
- I can't see the circlip listed separately in the Yamaha parts list (assume it comes as part of the 'seal kit'?}

Your current disc is probably fine.

If you take the helmet lock apart, remove the tumblers (carefully) insert your key & grind down all the tumblers til they're the same length... it'll work with your key now.

Yamaha bleed nipples are 1/4 bsp... NOT metric... HEL do em I think... or eBay

The wire circlips come in the kits.. make sure the clip isn't in the groove in the caliper...
The future is not what it used to be....

welshlamb
Financial
Financial

Post by welshlamb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 pm

In that case I'm In the shit. Rear and front bleed nipples are defo different sizes on my calipers (which I found/find confusing as Fowlers part list gives the same p/n for both front and rear) and the nipples weren't in when I got them to know better. The rear one takes the M7 fine but the front one seems to be 'blocked' and the M6 nipple I have wont screw in full depth (but M6 tap will go down). I should of course have checked all this before I had the calipers cleaned, blasted, coated built up ...... :headslap: Oh F**k. Just assumed as the rear caliper nipple fitted (came with rebuild kit from Powerhouse) that its was correct. Sure I checked it against thread gauge and it was M7. Front was identical part but clearly wouldn't fit the fron caliper (too large OD) I Will get an OE nipple from Fowlers and see where we go from there. Oh F**k. always the small things that buggah you up!!

Will try to get some photos of the different parts when I get it (should be on Friday)

BSP on a Japanese bike??

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 6 x 3AJ Teneres
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
XTZ750 Super Tenere.... Ratty one
Triumph Tiger 955I
Triumph Thunderbird sport
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle
Previously Owned Bikes: Triumph Tiger Cub, Garelli Tiger Cross, Triumph Trophy 650, Honda CB250 G5, Honda CB750 K7, Yamaha DT175MX, Honda CB250 Super Dream, Yamaha RD350LC YPVS, Honda XR250, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha RD500 V4, Yamaha XT600 Tenere (3AJ), Kawasaki ZX10, BMW R100GS PD, Honda XR600, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati 900 Superlight FE, Ducati 750 SS, Honda Fireblade... all I can remember for now...

Post by GeoffD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 am

welshlamb wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 pm

BSP on a Japanese bike??

Yep... I know, fucking ludicrous

I've had several calipers with nipples sheared off in them, I usually drill them out and tap them out to 7 or 8 mm....

Unfortunately the one on my current bike was the same... I drilled and tapped it out, blasted & painted it & found out afterwards the bastard thing won't seal.... I've tried everything... so the caliper is now junk, I've just bought another for 40 quid.

Rear calipers.... there are several that fit 3AJ's... I know, I've bought several... I bought 2 brand new ones off eBay a couple of years ago for 80 quid... they had a slightly smaller piston but worked fine, they also had 7mm bleed nipples :wtf:

Believe me, all the problems, shit you are encountering with brake calipers... I've had it

If you're stuck for a 1/4 bsp nipple ... pm me your address I'll send you one.
The future is not what it used to be....