3AJ rebuild ... at last

welshlamb
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: Laverda 1000,Yamaha FJ1200
Previously Owned Bikes: Ktm 990 (X2), Bimota DB2, Laverda Corsa, TDM850, FZ750, XS750, GS750, CB550, CB250

3AJ rebuild ... at last

Post by welshlamb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Well I've been lurking here for a year or so . I was sorely tempted by one of Geoff's rebuilt bike but with some time on my hands (laid off and no immediate solution in sight..f**king ageism!) I bought a stalled rebuild from a forum member last year. I have not been able to make concrete progress but a few weeks back I sold a much loved (but seldom used!) bike so now have some funds (I hope enough) to put plans into action.

Although no spanner twirling has been done yet there is a big file on my PC now called 'XT Inspiration' with key photos taken off other rebuild threads and many other websites I've visited late at night! Not having had an XT before and not stripped this one down (It came as complete motor, boxes and main frame components loosely assembled) I need all the guidance I can get. Fortunately the frame, wheels and suspension bits were all completed before my purchase but I'll probably strip bike down and start from (almost) ground up so I know where I am.

I'm hoping Kev Thomas can help with the engine rebuild (I know my limits) and I'll try and do as much of the rest myself. Apart from reading and getting ideas for the bike I've been doing regular searches on all the usual sites and buying bits I need as well as noting sources for future reference.

So far new parts include ......
Handgrips
Indicators
SS Headers
Handguards
Disc guard (from Italy!)
Sidestand switch (NOS £ 9.99)
Brake M'cyl (NOS £35)
Chinese adjustable brake/clutch levers (will see if I use them but cheap and look well made!)
Hel brake lines
Petrol cap
and loads of bits from Fowlers Yamaha in Bristol and Kedo in Germany. Isn't it amazing how an order to Kedo or Fowlers for just small parts, fasteners (only the 'special' ones) and (especially!) rubber parts can result in a small package and a LARGE bill. :omg:

No doubt more small parts needed from Fowlers/CMSNL etc as build progresses eg Chain, front sprocket,and speedo throttle cables. Not sure about the fork gaiters I have either

Plus used.......
2KF blue clocks (I loved Geoff's bike with these)
Chain Guard
Still looking for gear lever (are they all bent/twisted after use??) centre stand, possibly kick start conversion/addition)

Brake calipers are being refinished/rebuilt at present and lots of parts sent out in last few days for powder coating.

Will get some photos up soon but wanted to make a public declaration of intent to getting this ON THE ROAD. (the project and the bike!)

In meantime I anticipate numerous calls for forum member's assistance along the way seeing there is clearly a LOT of expertise on this site. :thanks: in advance

Here goes.......... what can go wrong??

charliext1vj
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600s 2x1VJ, 3UW, BSA Trail, CRF1000 + other?
Previously Owned Bikes: too many to list - XT600s, cr500, KTM 990 Adv, VFR800, RDs, DTs

Re: 3AJ rebuild ... at last

Post by charliext1vj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Good luck with the rebuild - I know I should have shared my good and bad bits here e.g. over protecting the wire loom lost some flexibility etc!

One bit I can share is I gave a large bucket of bits in for re-plating to Griffs at Bristol - http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk/. In short it was every plated part on the bike spindles, carb parts, brake pieces, so on. It was a bargain and I was really pleased with the quality and saved a huge amount of time. He also powder coated my hubs etc - I was pleased with the quality only minor issue was the colour match of the red components which is due to the limitation on powder colours i believe. Hope this helps.

Charlie

welshlamb
Financial
Financial
Previously Owned Bikes: Ktm 990 (X2), Bimota DB2, Laverda Corsa, TDM850, FZ750, XS750, GS750, CB550, CB250

Post by welshlamb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Cheers Charlie , I've used Griffs in the past for powder coating but didn't realise they plated as well. Might be useful. Did they turn it around in a decent timeframe?

charliext1vj
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600s 2x1VJ, 3UW, BSA Trail, CRF1000 + other?
Previously Owned Bikes: too many to list - XT600s, cr500, KTM 990 Adv, VFR800, RDs, DTs

Post by charliext1vj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm

I think I left a complete job lot for 4 weeks including frames wheels etc but the plating is simpler - just loading into tumbler etc so should be quicker turn around....sounds as if you are close to me I work in Bristol....if you want a hand to lift engine or just chew an issue over give me a message.and I will see if I can ride out for fun ...will be on my CRF AT though...but I will expect a cup of coffee/TEA :riding: !!

welshlamb
Financial
Financial

Post by welshlamb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm

This rebuild started with previous owner. These photos show it as he bought it.

To me the paintscheme says its a MK 2 3AJ (1989/90) but it has a black engine? Numbers are matching but it has Kmh clocks fitted (with a speedo healer type accessory fitted to the back to show Mph). Given this and the fact it is shown on V5 as being first registered in UK in 1992 I am assuming it was imported ( a lot of cars/bikes were at the time due to £/Euro and UK prices) but in any case I'm the 10th owner! {will check the s/n with Fowlers this week] Update : confirmed as 1990 3AJ6 European in Faraway blue.

Its probably had some 'rebuilds' along the way ( eg non standard heat shield and Laser produro end can fitted, mismatched indicators) and looks generally in good shape, but previous owner did buy it as a non-runner and did advise me that that there was "lots of sludge in the oil tank' and the wiring loom looks a little sad and hacked into so I'm going in prepared for worst but hoping for something better (Time will tell!)

The engine is in one piece ....Its temporarily found a home in my home made stand. I haven't got access to metal, don't weld and would rather spend my cash on some rebuild parts so an afternoon with scrap wood in the garage produced this. Seems stable enough and prevents the motor rolling about and getting damaged before frame fitment (more important once its rebuilt!) {sorry pic is sideways, it is saved the right way up in my directory but 'postimage.org@ ha done something to it!!]

Slightly concerned that with no history to the bike its clearly been 'poked at' before ...
The evidence include the bent/chipped fins on the barrel which makes me wary someone has tried to hammer the barrel free (and why!!)

But for now it's time for some TLC .

OK so here is where I'm starting from (sort off, as I'll strip things back down so I know what's there and how it goes together).

Powder coated rims and stainless spokes. New bearings and bushes in rear swing arm/linkage and front suspension. Frame and ancilliaries you can see powder coated. New fork springs , a very nice Wilbers shock. and a set of Bosley's stainless wide footpegs!

The previous owner assembled these parts so I could see what I was getting. As has been pointed out many times here, ....If you start out nice then its hard to skimp as you go on as you face the shame of letting the standard slip throughout the build. Ah well!

Onwards and upwards as they say!
Last edited by welshlamb on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

welshlamb
Financial
Financial

Post by welshlamb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 pm

First of no doubt many questions....

can anyone advise the length of a 3AJ swinging arm spindle?
As you can see, mine seems to be 'short' by some way.
I seem to remember that earlier frames (pre 3AJ/IVJ??) were not as wide , could this be a case of wrong part fitted?

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:13 pm

That swingarm axle is too short, looks like its been hacksawed off :bigeek:
I dont have the measurement of the axle possibly another member has one out of the bike they could mesure?

Mezo.

welshlamb
Financial
Financial

Post by welshlamb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm

If I get into the garage tomorrow I'll remove shock and swing arm and measure the spindle! Looks brand new so maybe wrong part supplied in error for the rebuild?

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 pm

welshlamb wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm
I'll remove shock and swing arm and measure the spindle!
You will have to remove all that to fit the engine anyhow (the axle goes through the engine) :smiley:

Mezo.

welshlamb
Financial
Financial

Post by welshlamb » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 pm

charliext1vj wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm
I think I left a complete job lot for 4 weeks including frames wheels etc but the plating is simpler - just loading into tumbler etc so should be quicker turn around....sounds as if you are close to me I work in Bristol....if you want a hand to lift engine or just chew an issue over give me a message.and I will see if I can ride out for fun ...will be on my CRF AT though...but I will expect a cup of coffee/TEA :riding: !!

Offer appreciated and will bear in mind! Always a brew on the go here! I'm located Monmouth/Abergavenny so some nice roads to bimble around. :yay: