Making a 1989 Super Ténéré ready for a Morocco trip.

AlexDK
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: Yamaha XTZ750 (year 1990)
Suzuki DRZ400S
Previously Owned Bikes: XT600 (kickstart)- year 1993
XT 600 Z year 1986 - Fantastic old school machine
Suzuki DL-650 - Did the job, but had no soul
Suzuki SV100S - Dont know why
2 x Honda NTV (lovely bikes, but didnt like dirtroads and forest trails)
Honda CBR600F (first bike)

Making a 1989 Super Ténéré ready for a Morocco trip.

Post by AlexDK » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:06 am

Making a 1989 Super Ténéré ready for a Morocco trip in year 2014.

Hi my name is Alex and I live in the northern part of Jutland in Denmark. I’m 31 summers old and love to take my bikes on new adventures. My brother and I have had newer bikes, but every time we are going on adventures we tend to use our “old” bikes due to the charm and the old school technology.

A few years ago I bought an xtz750 (AKA the “Emu”) because I’m doing a fair amount of touring with my brother (his bike is called the “Ostrich“). My XTZ had done 52.xxx kilometers when I bought it and needed some TLC before the bike would be ready for new adventures.

The frame was rusty and the service history was unknown, but the bike was a runner and had plenty of “umph” when turning the cable. On my first trip on the Emu I fell in love with the bike :bouncing-boobs: the engine is fantastic and the old school design just inspires one to fuel up the bike and just keep going.

This is a picture of my Emu before the makeover started:

I love the blue Sonauto rally replica, so that’s my goal for the Emu. However I’m doing a white frame with blue paint a replica stickers (so stay tuned). Im doing the blue paint and stickering after our trip to Morocco because I’m planning to put quite some kilometers on the old Emu before the trip.. The mantra is “testing the hardware is more important than the blue paint with stickers”

My brother’s “Ostrich” is from 1991 (odometer: 110.000 kilometers) and my Emu is a 1989 (odometer: 53.000 km). By brother has taken the “Ostrich” to “Nordkapp” in Norway (our trip in year 2012), on a 14 days trip to Italy together with his better half and have driven 20.000 kilometers on his bike the last couple of years he has owned the bike. It would be fair to say that the Ostrich is an above average serviced bike and always ready for new adventures.

This is a picture of my brother at “Nordkapp” year 2012:

(In a few months my brother and I are going to Morocco on our two bikes we are leaving week 25 + 26). :confetti: :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

We have this crazy idea that we would bring the “dessert birds” back to their familiar surroundings.

The winter 2013/2014 I dismantled the entire bike and sent the metal of for power coating + clear.

This is a few blurry pictures of the process:

As you can see i'm a pretty organiced. everything has its own place and my garage is as clean as a operating room at a hospital

When I picked up the parts from the painter I was a happy camper. It’s fantastic to see how a sanding and new paint can turn old metal into new looking parts.
The engine is in good condition and all I’m doing is a valve adjustment, new coolant and an oil change. The rest of the job is changing bearings in the wheels and swingarm, going through the wiring and most important.. Getting to know the bike before the trip!!

Today ( march 24th 2014) I have done the following improvements to the “Emu”, trying to make it ready for Morocco: :funkynanna:
• Oil change + filter (10-40 semi synthetic)
• New rear wheel and tube (“Michellin Anakee 3” – we are sticking to the tarmac and small gravel roads)
• Service of the brakes (fluid, pads and cleaning)
• New shock absorbers in the rear wheel
• New dust and oil seal in the front fork (incl. internal cleaning + new oil)
• Two new air filters
• Ultrasonic cleaning of the carburetor (+ installing a “Swiss kit” for better fuel milage)
• Adjusting the valves in the engine (two of the intake valves needed adjustment)
• New bearing in both front and rear wheels
• New bearing in the front fork/yoke
• Specially made POM bush for the upper yoke (to improve the handling)
• Powder coating of the frame and other metal pieces.
• 3 new locking pieces of the rear spoke
• New lock washer + new nut on the front sprocket
• New bearings in the swingarm
• New bearings in the relay arm

Here is a few picture of the Emu in its current “glory”:
Getting the engine back into the frame after a few months is just wonderful

The newly painted swingarm with new bearings and girly tarmac tire (Anakee 3)

The oil tank, cooler, speedo is mounted, but the wiring harnes is still not sorted out:

This is the current progress of the bike.. A lot of work is still in front of me

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Re: Making a 1989 Super Ténéré ready for a Morocco trip.

Post by Mezo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Alex :nannawave:

Keep up the good work. :popcorn:

Mezo.

xtjoe
Financial
Financial

Post by xtjoe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 am

Looking good Alex, sounds like a nice colour scheme. Feel free to share old trip details :book:

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 6 x 3AJ Teneres
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
XTZ750 Super Tenere.... Ratty one
Triumph Tiger 955I
Triumph Thunderbird sport
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle
Previously Owned Bikes: Triumph Tiger Cub, Garelli Tiger Cross, Triumph Trophy 650, Honda CB250 G5, Honda CB750 K7, Yamaha DT175MX, Honda CB250 Super Dream, Yamaha RD350LC YPVS, Honda XR250, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha RD500 V4, Yamaha XT600 Tenere (3AJ), Kawasaki ZX10, BMW R100GS PD, Honda XR600, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati 900 Superlight FE, Ducati 750 SS, Honda Fireblade... all I can remember for now...

Post by GeoffD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Can't beat a nice white frame eh?
The future is not what it used to be....

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 pm

GeoffD wrote:Can't beat a nice white frame eh?
Haaa :lol:

I thought you would like that Geoff. :biggrin:

Mezo.

AlexDK
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
Suzuki DRZ400S

Post by AlexDK » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:16 pm

GeoffD wrote:Can't beat a nice white frame eh?
Exactly... Its so shiny and clean.. and I cant wait to make it dirty :biggrin:

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
Triumph Tiger 955I
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle
Previously Owned Bikes: Triumph Tiger Cub, Garelli Tiger Cross, Triumph Trophy 650, Honda CB250 G5, Honda CB750 K7, Yamaha DT175MX, Honda CB250 Super Dream, Yamaha RD350LC YPVS, Honda XR250, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki PE175, Yamaha YZ125, Yamaha RD500 V4, Yamaha XT600 Tenere (3AJ), Kawasaki ZX10, BMW R100GS PD, Honda XR600, Honda Varadero, Honda Africa Twin, Honda Transalp, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati 900 Superlight FE, Ducati 750 SS, Honda Fireblade... all I can remember for now...

Post by GeoffD » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 pm

I've been inspired to get back into my S10... (mine's called The Titanic) :rolleyes:

AlexDK
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
Suzuki DRZ400S

Post by AlexDK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 am

The other night I fitted the wiring and all went together without loose ends, so thats really nice. :star:

But the wire going to the starter motor is absolutely hidden behind the frame and engine mounts

I have already slid the wire onto the connector on the starter, but its impossible to get the small nut thats secures the wire into position.

Its this nut, securing the wire, that I cant get to:

I have therefore removed the two bolts that holds the starter to the engine, but I cant remove the starter...

I know for sure the starter is disconnected from the engine, but the frame and engine mounts doesnt allow me to remove the starter... arghh.. that just a stupid design Yamaha (unless I'm missing something).

So do I really need to take the swing arm and engine out of the frame to remove the starter ? or am I missing something trivial ?

The thought of removing the swing arm and engine from the frame is NOT something I was hoping for :pleasesir: :headslap:

GeoffD
A Very Friendly
A Very Friendly
2 x 1VJ Teneres
55W Tenere
XT660 Tenere 4MY
Triumph Tiger 955I
55W Tenere
Kawasaki Versys 650
Suzuki GT750 Kettle

Post by GeoffD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:33 am

According to my manual the starter motor can be removed in situ..... however you have to remove the starter complete with the wire from the solenoid.... & fit the wire on the starter before replacing it....

AlexDK
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
Suzuki DRZ400S

Post by AlexDK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:04 pm

GeoffD wrote:According to my manual the starter motor can be removed in situ..... however you have to remove the starter complete with the wire from the solenoid.... & fit the wire on the starter before replacing it....
Hi Geoff,
Perhaps I wasent making my self very clear (or possibly me not understanding your reply). The startermotor was mounted on the engine, but unscrewing the two bolts holding the startermotor in place, still doesnt allow me to remove the startermotor from the engine and afterwards fasten the wire to the startermotor with the small nut...

Its hard to explain, but its as if the frame and enginemounts are packed to close to the startermotor, so I cant seem to remove the startermotor enough away from the frame, and then afterwards tightening the nut...

My plan (eventhough not liking it) is to remove enginemount no. 10 on this picture:

The only way I see it is to removing the swingarm, relay arm, chain, tire and lastly "enginemount no. 10" and this will hopefully give me enough space to secure the wire to the startermotor with the nut... But I have to say that its kind of a big job just to tighten a nut on a wire to the startermotor :headslap: