So, my xtz burned 3 litres of oil over the summer...

bum bum
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: xtz660, tt350

So, my xtz burned 3 litres of oil over the summer...

Post by bum bum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

3000km ago I changed oil. Filled up about 3 litres and have topped off with another litre as the months passed. Now I drained the oil and I got barely 1 litre! It seems impossible that it has burnt 3 litres since theres been no blue smoke or smell of oil. Yes there is black residue in the muffler but theres always some right?

Gonna do a compression test next week but Guess I'm looking at new piston rings? valve or valve seals?

hannesf
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: Tenere XTZ 660 3YF

Re: So, my xtz burned 3 litres of oil over the summer...

Post by hannesf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm

3 Liters?! How far did you go? And: are you sure your tenere didnt just spilled the oil to the ground?!

If so, i guess its time to give the engine a little bit of love... (at least check compression, check piston rings, cylinder wall, piston etc, valve clearence, chain..)

cheers

Jens Eskildsen
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post by Jens Eskildsen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Yeb a fresh bore, piston and valveseals sounds like a good plan. Perhaps a fresh camchain while youre inthere.

bum bum
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post by bum bum » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 am

I tested the compression and got 60 psi! now, the tester is leaking thrugh the adapter so real value is somewhat higher than that but probably not more than 70-80psi.

Earlier I took off the airbox cover and noticed dust and sand in there that has gotten through the filter! obviously the filter wont let sand through but I noticed there's a bit of play between the filter and the opening and it doesn't seem like the foam that covers the edges where the filter slots in is doing such a fine job. I've known from emptying the tube that drains the pre-chamber or what you'd call it, that sand gets sucked into the airbox but never thought it would get past the filter. I'm thinkin dust maybe even sand has gotten in the cylinder and ruined the walls.
The snorkel is removed and intake cut larger so that explains it.

Never saw more than two drops of oil underneath the bike so seems unlikely that it's leaking any.

For fun I filled up with some fresh oil and started it and before I even pulled out the choke it fired up and ran fine. 2 months hibernation and all.
Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm
Yeb a fresh bore, piston and valveseals sounds like a good plan. Perhaps a fresh camchain while youre inthere.
Fresh bore = hone the cylinder?

scottieh
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 1988 XT600Z 3AJ
1985 XT 600
Previously Owned Bikes: 1989 Yamaha Virago 750
1994 DR650
1980 Suzuki GR650
1997 KLR 250
1986 Honda Spree

Post by scottieh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 pm

With that low of PSI and high oil consumption you'd probably be better off boring over one size and fitting a new piston and rings. But first you can take the cylinder to a good shop that has a cylinder bore gauge and they can tell you how bad the damage is. From there they may make recommendations on best recourse. Post what their measurements say!

bum bum
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet

Post by bum bum » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Not much progress yet, will be ordering parts and picking engine apart in the coming weeks.
Jens Eskildsen wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm
When replacing the chain, don''t yyou have to split the cases?

Mezo
Dashingly Handsome
Dashingly Handsome
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 3AJ
Previously Owned Bikes: Honda SS50, Suzuki TS50, Honda CB100, Honda CR125RZ, Yamaha YZ125, Kawasaki KX250, Suzuki TL1000S, Ducati 900SS, Ducati 900SL, a few Tenere`s.

Post by Mezo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 pm

bum bum wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:52 pm
When replacing the chain, don''t yyou have to split the cases?
No, but you need to get the flywheel off & that can be a pain in the arse. :bat:

Mezo.

crossflow
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 3YF 1
Scott Flying Squirrel Racer

Post by crossflow » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:13 am

Just before you strip it down... how are you testing the cylinder pressure? Surely at pre- starting rotational speeds the auto exhaust lifter/ decompressor is operating?
Given that it’s starting well and that the only problem is an unexplained oil loss, You could run it until you felt more sure over what was happening...especially if your weather is just getting better.
I can’t remember where the crankcase vent goes, although I only just re-fitted my own rebuilt engine, but if you are suspecting oil loss through bore/ring wear it would be interesting to look at this. In the end though, if it’s not leaking it, and you are sure that it is using it...it’s got to be consuming it, and that does bring you back to the same point.
Good luck : )

stevep10
No Gold Stars Yet
No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: 2009 GTR1400
1992 XTZ750
1971 Suzuki F50 Cutlass
1975 Yamaha RS100
Previously Owned Bikes: Goldwings
ZZR1100
CB900
CBX750
Honda C50
Various stupidly fast 2 stroke scooters

Post by stevep10 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm

If the bores are worn you will be able to tell with the condition of the spark plugs, they will get black and oily looking instead of a nice dark ginger colour, plus you will feel a slight loss of power over what it was before.
With the compression test, do one when the engine is cold, then add a teaspoon of clean oil to the bore and re-check, if it's higher than the previous reading then the bore is worn or the oil scraper ring is shot.
Repeat the test with the engine warm to ascertain any difference as heat will expand the bores.